Less than an hour by water taxi from Picton, Bay of Many Coves Resort is a gorgeous place to enjoy some great sea fishing, delicious cuisine and let yourself and your partner or friends be thoroughly pampered.
The architecture is striking – a contemporary nautical design with strong use of timber, glass and stainless steel, which drew accolades when it first opened nine years ago.
The apartments are stacked across a hillside above the sea, overlooking the Bay of Many Coves, which opens off Queen Charlotte Sound in the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. These labyrinthine waterways are quite gorgeous on a calm day, but even if the weather isn’t cooperating there will usually be a quiet spot where you can still get in a good day’s fishing, protected from the wind and swell in the internal waterways.
Fishing is provided by quality local charter boats with blue cod, terakihi, snapper, kahawai and gurnard in the inshore waters and the possibility of grouper as you get out towards Cook Strait.
And if you’re taking a day off fishing there are plenty of other things to do. The resort is close to the renowned Queen Charlotte Track which provides a great day’s hiking. Go scuba diving (the wreck of the Russian liner, the Mikhail Lermontov, is definitely worth a dive if you’re experienced), go dolphin-watching or take a kayak or rowboat and explore the nearby bays. Join an eco-cruise and visit nearby protected islands and historic places (Ships Cove, where Captain James Cook took time to rest his boat and crew is just a short sail away), or head into Picton for the day and join a wine tour around the famed Marlborough wineries. You can join the local ‘Mail Cruise’ and help drop mail to local residents in far-flung corners of Queen Charlotte Sound. Much of the area, including the resort, has no road access so everything, including the guests, has to arrive by boat.
- there are 6 x 1-bedroom apartments sleeping 2 people, with ensuite bathrooms
- there are 4 x 2-bedroom apartments sleeping 4 people, with two ensuite bathrooms
- and 1 x 3-bedroom apartment, with an ensuite and separate bathroom, sleeping up to 6 people
- there will be a maximum of 34 people at the resort at any one time
- the accommodation is all five star, and each apartment has a crafted use of natural timbers and fabrics, with big views out the double-opening windows to the sea below
- each apartment has a well-appointed kitchenette, a deck overlooking the sea, telephone and wi-fi (rural-speed)
- breakfast is served in the Kumatage Restaurant overlooking the sea. It is open all day for casual dining and relaxing (check out the library)
- The Foredeck is the evening fine dining restaurant, once again with expansive sea views. The Executive Chef is highly regarded for his culinary gastronomy and the evening menu features local delicacies like snapper, crab, scallops and South Island beef. They also feature a degustation menu
- The Bight is a daytime bar and cafe down on the jetty. It serves tasty lunches and has a light bites menu as well. Have a beer as you watch the boats come and go or join the locals to watch a game of rugby on the big screen
- There’s a hot tub and pool on a terrace high above the sea, and if you want some real pampering there’s the Miritu Day Spa, which offers traditional and local indigenous therapies and massage techniques.
- day fishing charter options include a luxury launch and a more traditional local fishing boat
- the main target species are blue cod (catch & release), terakihi, snapper, kahawai and gurnard; further out to sea there are grouper to be had
- in season there is also the chance to try for scallops
- there are also opportunities to visit local salmon, paua (abalone), green-shelled mussel and oyster farms
- all the fishing gear you require will be provided by the charter boats
- Tariffs are per apartment per night. Children are welcome but some restrictions apply. Children under 1 year stay FOC. B&B and full lodge stay rates (including dinner) are available.
- 1 bedroom apartment – $NZ 540 – 900 for 2 people
- 2 bedroom apartment – $NZ 745 – 1090 for up to 4 people
- 3 bedroom apartment – from $NZ 1,200 for up to 6 people
- some minimum stay requirements over the Christmas period
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
The Bay of Many Coves Resort is open all year
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We can then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.