Cedar Lodge sits in a small corner of a very big valley, deep in the mountains of New Zealand’s South Island. It’s close to Mt Aspiring National Park, and a 90 minute drive from the nearest major airport at Queenstown. And it has some of the best fishing for brown and rainbow trout that you will find anywhere.
Cedar Lodge offers world-class fly fishing, delicious food and a stunning setting. Daily rates include heli-fishing so there is no need to think about how many days to book a chopper during your stay – every day is a chopper day at Cedar Lodge. They hold one of only a few concessions to fish in the Mt Aspiring National Park, and also offer heli-hiking into this same unique World Heritage area.
With just four guest rooms and a short five month season it’s a very sought after place and can be booked out many months ahead. But book early enough before your visit and you’re in for a treat. Unusual in many parts, there are places around this mighty river catchment where you can fish for rainbow and brown trout in the same pool. All the fishing is sighted fishing and your guide will give you all the tips you need to stalk these beautiful, elusive fish. There are endless options to helicopter out from the lodge, from short flights up the nearby river valley to much longer flights out to the West Coast.
- the main public spaces include a lounge and dining area, and meals can be taken outside when the weather is pleasant
- accommodation is in four king or twin-single guest rooms, each with ensuite
- guest rooms all have expansive alpine valley views and open to a sunny deck space
- a helicopter is based out of the lodge so is always available to fly (weather permitting)
- days start early and by 8.45am the first guests are being flown out for the day, whether to go fishing or hiking
- Cedar Lodge offers access to unlimited sighted fishing for wild trout in many remote rivers
- this includes waterways inside the Mt Aspiring National Park. Fishing in these remote spots is exceptional due to the lack of other fishers along the waterways
- target species include both brown and rainbow trout
- like much of the fishing in New Zealand, trout are usually within the 1.5 – 3 kg (3 – 6 lb) range, with occasional landings of 5+ kg (10+ lb) fish
- helicopter flights are included in the rate and are used daily
Awards & Accolades:
- listed in ‘The 50 Greatest Places to Fish Before You Die’
- featured in the Robb Report – July 2015
Includes all accommodation, meals, liquor, guiding services, and daily helicopter fly-out (weather permitting)
Pricing is package rates per person, twin share, with 1 – 2 people per fishing guide per day
- 4 nights 3 days $US 4995
- 5 nights 4 days $US 5995
- 6 nights 5 days $US 6995
- 7 nights 6 days $US 7995
- 8 nights 7 days $US 8995
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Cedar Lodge is open from the 1st Saturday in November to the end of March.
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.