From humble beginnings as a 1920s tented fishing stay Huka Lodge has risen to be one of the noted resorts of the world. But amid all the luxury and glamour that goes with being one of the best, the world-class trout fishing hasn’t changed.
After a fabulous breakfast you can still don a pair of waders, throw a rod over your shoulder and head off for some of the best trout fishing available – anywhere. This is because Huka Lodge is only a 25 minute drive from the famed Tongariro River and close to great dry-fly fishing in the mountainous rivers to the east of Lake Taupo.
Set beside the cobalt-blue waters of the Waikato River its location is superb. The accommodation, service and cuisine are unbeatable, and if privacy is an issue when you travel, then Huka Lodge will provide that too. This is a place that draws some of the most recognised people in the world, yet will provide you with an unforgettable luxury experience on the banks of an iconic New Zealand river.
It’s a 3.5 hour drive or 45 minute flight south of Auckland and is a 1 hour drive west of Rotorua.
- there are 18 Junior Lodge Suites, 1 lodge Suite and 2 private cottages, all with beautiful river views
- the Junior Lodge Suites open out through wide bi-folding doors to a private deck overlooking the river
- beds are super king and the bedding is luxurious; there’s also a sitting area and desk
- ensuites are generous with a bath, shower and twin basins
- the Lodge Suite is bigger, with a separate lounge and dining area and a dressing room
- the Alan Pye Cottage (at 324 sq m/3487 sq ft it’s hardly a cottage) has 2 beautifully appointed suites, a lounge and dining area, a private spa, river-front pool and garden pavilion
- even bigger, the Owner’s Cottage, has 4 private suites, a large lounge and dining area, three decks and a riverfront pool
The Main Lodge:
- a highlight of a Huka Lodge stay is the cuisine, starting with pre-dinner drinks and a chance to mingle
- a full breakfast and a 5-course dinner is included in the tariff
- there are 20 places to enjoy dinner, including the main dining area, the Library, the Wine Cellar, the Trophy Room and outdoors
- both Cottages also have private dining and a personal chef is available
- in addition to the Cottage private pools there is also a lodge pool and spa, an all-weather tennis court, and petanque and croquet
- out and about there is golf, adventure tours, Maori cultural trips, hunting and winter skiing
- the lodge is only a 25 minute drive from the famed Tongariro River
- rainbow and brown trout are fished, with an average size of 2.5 kg (5 lb)
- guides are recommended and package prices include a fishing licence, all gear and transportation (ask us about these great packages)
- the mountain rivers to the east of Lake Taupo also provide excellent fishing with dry fly, nymph or light spinning tackle
- many of these rivers are accessible by 4WD
- there is incredible wilderness fishing available in the remotest corners of the Kaweka, Kaimanawa and Urewera ranges
- these require helicopter access and are unsurpassed in their natural beauty
- you can also fish for trout by boat on Lake Taupo; cast your line at the river mouths where the trout come to feed
- most fishing on the lake takes the form of trolling using either lures or flies, with the catch averaging 2 kg (4 lb)
- 2 night Fishing Package available with Junior Lodge Suite accommodation
- tariff is per night and includes pre-dinner drinks, 5-course dinner, full breakfast, return transfers to Taupo airport, use of all lodge facilities
- high and mid season rates are listed but there are low season rates available for 1 May to 30 Sept
- Autumn Season – 1 – 30 Apr, Spring Season – 1 Oct – 14 Dec
- Junior Lodge Suite – double/twin $NZ 1138.00 p/p; single $ NZ1707.00
- Lodge Suite – double $NZ 2047.00 p/p; single $NZ 3864.00
- Alan Pye Cottage – rates start at $NZ 2673.00 p/p twin share; rates available for up to 4 people to share
- Owner’s Cottage – rates start at $NZ 2673.00 p/p twin share; rates available for up to 8 people to share
- Winter Season – 1 May – 30 Sept
- there are excellent rates available in winter – enquire for details
- High Season – 15 Dec to 31 Mar
- Junior Lodge Suite – double/twin $NZ 1650.00 p/p; single $ NZ 2317.00
- Lodge Suite – double $NZ 3061.00 p/p; single $NZ 5853.00
- Alan Pye Cottage – rates start at $NZ 5313.00 p/p twin share; rates available for up to 4 people to share
- Owner’s Cottage – rates start at $NZ 5313.00 p/p twin share; rates available for up to 8 people to share
- there are some minimum night stay requirements and family and small group rates are available
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Huka Lodge is open all year; the fishing season is open all year on the lower reaches of some rivers but is restricted on others. We can supply details.
Send Your Enquiry for Huka Lodge
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We can then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.