Inspired by the dynamic early 20th century architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, Lake Taupo Lodge offers its guests stylish, luxurious accommodation overlooking beautiful Lake Taupo.
The owners have developed this inspiring property over the last 30 years to ensure it sits comfortably in its environment. The classic architecture and landscaped gardens give this elegant lodge a timeless appeal and the chef-prepared meals, generous suites and compelling range of local activities make it a fantastic place to base a fly fishing trip when visiting the Taupo area.
Fishing in the area is world-class with both rainbow and brown trout for the taking. Remote wilderness rivers in the nearby Kaimanawa Ranges are a great place to fish for brown trout; while the closer rivers around Lake Taupo and the world-renowned Tongariro River are perfect for rainbow trout.
Come with a spare day or two so you can explore the region. The mountains of the central Plateau are an easy drive away or you can visit the geysers and mud pools of the Craters of the Moon thermal area, or the mighty Huka Falls. Other outdoor activities include white water rafting, scenic helicopter flights, golf at the nearby Wairakei and Kinloch golf courses, swimming in hot pools, skiing (in winter) and Maori cultural activities.
- accommodation is in 6 suites, each with private outdoor area, lounge seating and luxurious ensuite bathroom
- the Cherrywood Suite has a classic period look with rich wood detailing, fine bed linens and a separate lounge room
- the Pines Suite has a central curtained bed and beautiful bathroom, including an Italian tiled steam shower and free-standing bath
- the Frank, Lloyd and Wright executive suites have super king beds, classic Lloyd Wright design and full bathrooms
- the Lake Suite is the lodge’s premier room with stunning lake views, intricate wood detailing, simple white decor and a full bathroom with corner spa bath
The Main Lodge:
- the main lounge is an ample space with a library for quiet reading
- there is a full-sized billiard table in the bar area
- relax in quiet outdoor garden spaces or enjoy the lake view from the decks
- the atrium room has a grand piano and opens out to a garden patio
- you can choose to stay in for a four course gourmet dinner (must be booked pre-arrival) or visit one of the many local restaurants. Dinner can be taken in the main shared dining area or at private tables
- a full chef-prepared cooked or continental breakfast is served daily
- there is world-class fishing for brown and rainbow trout nearby
- within the Taupo trout fishery there are 5 lakes, 13 streams and rivers, four canals and more than 32 river mouths open to angling
- a 12 month season applies not only to Lake Taupo itself, but also to the river mouths and large sections of eight rivers and streams, as well as one of the canals
- while the upper reaches of the western tributaries and the eastern headwaters close for the winter, they are open from the beginning of December until the end of May and offer some of the best wilderness sight fishing in the world.
- some of these tributaries have difficult access but it’s quite likely you could have a whole day of fishing without seeing another angler
- a heli-fishing day with one of their experienced guides in to the backcountry is a fly fishing experience you will never forget. Another great option for unspoilt beauty is a day raft fishing – you’ll see some spectacular scenery
Lake Taupo Lodge promotes a catch and release policy; however there is the option to catch a fish for dinner if you are boat fishing.
Awards & Accolades:
- The New Zealand Institute of Architects awarded the lodge the New Zealand Regional Award for Architecture.
Includes luxury accommodation, complimentary bottle of wine and a full or continental breakfast
- Summer rates – 1st Nov – 30th April
- Lake Suite $NZ 975.00 per night for 2 people
- All other suites $NZ 875.00 per night for 2 people
- Winter rates – 1st May – 31st Oct
- Lake Suite $NZ 875.00 per night for 2 people
- All other suites $NZ 775.00 per night for 2 people
- dinner is available for $150 per person and needs to be booked before arriving
- 2 night minimum stay from 23rd Dec to 5 Jan
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Lake Taupo Lodge is open all year. Children are welcome.
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We can then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.