Minaret Station is everything you could want in a remote fishing lodge. You can’t drive there, or reach it by boat. You can’t drop in by fixed wing plane, or realistically even walk there. But you can arrive by helicopter, as everyone else does.
Minaret Station is a family-run lodge, and part of a vast working sheep and cattle station that starts down on the flat land around the shore of Lake Wanaka. Flying from the flats up through the narrow valley, the country changes quickly from grassy farmland to gnarly, stunted trees and then alpine tussock. Giant rock faces loom high above and entire mountains appear before us as the helicopter flies up the wild steep gorge. Suddenly a bowl-shaped valley opens ahead and the lodge appears as tiny dots in the distance. We cross the valley and drop quickly on to the helipad beside the main lodge building.
Until a few years ago the accommodation here was in luxuriously appointed tented cabins, but these have now been replaced by equally luxurious mountain chalets. Designed and fitted with some lovely New Zealand features like the woollen rugs (from sheep on the property) and earthy alpine tones, they are cosy and inviting. The view out every window is stunning, and the chalets are connected to the main lodge building by sturdy wooden boardwalks.
All the fishing here is heli-fishing – just like the heli-hiking, the heli-biking and the heli-skiing. Which means you are not limited by how far you can drive or walk in a day to get to your fishing spot. From Minaret Station you’ll be able to fish anywhere from northern to southern Fiordland, or any of the inland rivers around the Queenstown-Wanaka area, including the mighty Clutha River and its tributaries.
- there are four free-standing chalets, all with commanding views across the remote alpine valley
- each chalet has a large bedroom, a separate dressing area that can take an extra bed, and a well-appointed ensuite
- woollen rugs, possum wool throws, and decor to match the colours outside all help to bring the outdoors in
- each chalet has a private hot tub on the deck
- unlimited wifi, a nespresso machine and complimentary mini bar add to your comfort
The Main Lodge:
- the lounge, dining area, study/den and Mountain Kitchen share the main lodge area and are the heart of the lodge
- a big open fire warms the space year round
- there’s a satellite TV in the study and wifi throughout the building
- a full breakfast, lunch (picnic or seated), pre-dinner canapés and a 3-course gourmet dinner are included each day
- menus change daily to suit what is in-season and on-site
- chefs use the best of delicious local meats, fruits and the exceptional Otago wines
- the Mountain Kitchen is also available as a day venue, with helicopter transfers departing from Queenstown or Wanaka. The day can be spent at the lodge and around the farm. A three-course lunch with beverages is served in the middle of the day. Enquire about a Mountain Kitchen Lunch day trip.
- all fishing at Minaret Station is heli-fishing, so the options are endless
- there are also drive-out guide fishing options available from Queenstown and Wanaka
- the wild rivers of Fiordland are all within easy reach by helicopter, weather permitting
- access to world-class river fishing for brown and rainbow trout, and a short season of salmon fishing as well
- ultra-clear rivers mean that whilst anglers can see the fish, the fish can also see the angler. Sight and stalk is the method of choice and by far the most exciting
- anglers often use dry fly, streamer and nymph techniques on the same stretch of water
- sea fishing is also available by helicopter to the fertile fishing grounds off the West Coast. Species include bluenose and grouper, kahawai and blue cod. Fishing is by boat
- the main trout fishing season is October to April, with lake and sea fishing open all year round
Includes accommodation, full breakfast, lunch (lodge or packed), pre-dinner canapés, most alcoholic beverages and a 3 course gourmet dinner
- luxury chalet per night – $NZ 2,450 for 2 people (king or twin share)
- extra adult is $NZ 550 per night
- return helicopter transfers from Wanaka – $NZ 1,950 per adult, $NZ 450 per child
- the Mountain Kitchen Lunch (including return helicopter transfers from Wanaka) – $NZ 1,290 per person
- cancellation fees may apply
Minaret Station is open all year. Children are welcome.
Send Your Enquiry for Minaret Station
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.