Owen River Lodge is one of the best fishing lodges in New Zealand to stay if you’re passionate about fishing for brown trout, with a fabulous number of rivers and streams within an easy drive.
The boutique lodge is small and intimate, with a maximum of 12 guests at any one time. Accommodation is in six beautifully appointed garden cottages, each with a view of the Owen River valley and nearby granite escarpments of the Kahurangi National Park. This is big country.
There are over 25 excellent fishing rivers and streams to choose from within a 90 minute drive including the Maruia, Buller and Motueka Rivers, and many more that are accessible by helicopter. As the owner says, “You may have heard New Zealand’s rivers described as being “Gin Clear” – well it’s true! Imagine stalking a 10lb brown trout in water, so clear, that what looks 12 inches deep is actually up to your waist!”
Owen River Lodge is at the northern end of the South Island and is a 90 minute drive south of Nelson along State Highway 6, with the last 2 kilometres on easy gravel road. It is close to the Nelson and Marlborough wine regions and all the attractions of these two beautiful areas. The small town of Murchison is just 15 minutes to the south.
- six double/twin cottages in the garden, each opening onto a sunny deck
- cottages are fitted with native timber flooring, neutral colours and big comfy armchairs
- top of the range king-size beds (all rooms can be king or 2 king singles) and crisp white bedding
- ensuite bathrooms are also of native timbers and are well-sized
- tea/coffee making area, fridge and home baking in each cottage
- very quiet surroundings and rooms are screened for the sandflies
The Main Lodge:
- large central lounge/dining area with an open kitchen
- big shared dining table overlooking the river for those wonderful table d’hote dinners and early breakfasts
- excellent wine selection
- quiet evening bar/TV/internet room away from the main dining/lounge area
- hot spa pool in the garden
- deck platform down by the river for evening cocktails or a quiet coffee
- large organic vege garden providing much of the lodge’s fresh produce
- well stocked tackle room with superior Simms wet gear, waders and boots, Sage rods and reels, and Lamson reels. Sage and Simms gear now available to purchase
- the lodge has the highest environmental sustainability rating available in NZ
- access to 23 rivers within a 60 minute drive; also good lake fishing as close as 20 minutes drive
- top fishing guides available (max of 2 people with each guide)
- fishing is mainly sighted fishing for brown trout in crystal clear water
- average fish size – 1.5 – 3 kg (3 – 6 lb) with up to 5 kg (10 lb) fish
- typically anglers use a 5 or 6 weight rod, 9 to 10 feet in length
- hunting or stalking these brown trout requires the angler to use a dull coloured fly line, long leaders & fine tippet
- unlike lake fishing, the majority of the casting you do will be medium to short distances – accuracy being much more important than the ability to cast the complete fly line
Includes accommodation in a luxury guest cottage suite, all meals i.e. pre-dinner drinks and canapés , a 3-course dinner, cooked English breakfast, picnic lunch, house wine, beer, wi-fi and the use of all lodge facilities including fly fishing equipment
- Cottage Suite accommodation $NZ 645 – $845 per person, per night – twin share
- $NZ 825 – $1,045 per night for a single occupancy guest
- 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7-night fly fishing packages available from $NZ 2,670 pp twin share for a 3 night package, with 2 days guided fishing
- Single fisherman 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7-night fly fishing packages available from $NZ 4,065 pp for a 3 night package, with 2 days guided fishing
- minimum 3 night stay policy; children under 12 are welcome by prior arrangement
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Owen River Lodge is open from October 1 to April 30 (the southern summer)
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.