High in wilderness country to the south-east of Lake Taupo, Poronui is one of New Zealand’s most well-known fishing lodges, and is rated one of the top 10 fishing lodges in the world by Forbes magazine. A favourite of passionate fishermen for its excellent brown and rainbow trout opportunities, it also attracts a lot of sporting hunters, and is a recognised wilderness retreat as well.
There are three accommodation options – the main Poronui Lodge is a world-class wilderness sporting lodge with just 7 adjoining cabins overlooking the Taharua Valley. Described as a ‘purpose-built facility designed to meet the needs of the discerning angler’, it includes a shared dining table and lounge room with open fires and well-stocked bookcases. The rustic-luxe Safari Camp, on the banks of the Mohaka River, has beautifully appointed canvas-roofed and walled cabins where you can really get a feel for the wilderness surrounding you without compromising on comfort. And Blake House is a stately owner’s residence available for exclusive use; it can accommodate up to 16 people in four double suites and two luxury bunkrooms.
The property covers 16,000 acres of wilderness including dense native beech forests, grasslands and manuka. There are 240km (150 mi) of hiking and riding tracks along the way. The Mohaka and Taharua Rivers tumble through the landscape, and the surrounding countryside has very high environmental and ecological value. Poronui has a great working relationship with local Maori – Ngati Tuwharetoa offer an excellent opportunity to engage in the local indigenous culture with their Kai Waho experiences. There’s also horse riding, mountain biking, clay shooting and hunting available.
- the main Poronui Lodge overlooks the Taharua River and has 7 guest cabins; views are far-reaching
- the cabins combine a rustic simplicity and luxurious edge, with their timber finish and natural fabrics
- the Safari Camp is in the neighbouring Mohaka Valley; accommodation is in two sturdy, very comfortable wooden-floored chalets with canvas walls and roofing
- there’s a separate amenities chalet and a cooking cabin
- Blake House is a large luxury retreat with 4 beautifully appointed suites, 2 extensive living spaces, 4 fireplaces, a well-appointed cook’s kitchen, cigar room, media room, private sunrooms and 2 luxury bunkrooms
- it is available for exclusive use and suits larger groups or families who want to stay together
- this option is either self-catering, fully catered or a mix of the two
The Main Lodge:
- guests dine and socialise in the main lodge with its big open fires and long shared table
- a large balcony overlooks the Taharua River
- The Stables, near the main lodge, is a sports complex and working stable with a BBQ area, gym and health facilities
- there are also steam, sauna and massage rooms and a full-sized billiard table
- the lodge is well known for its excellent regional cuisine; the resident chef prepares an excellent menu with all food prepared in the lodge kitchen
- the Stables underground wine cellar can hold over 10,000 bottles of fine wine and is often used to host atmospheric dinners; wine tastings are available
- beauty treatments and massages are available on site and lodge staff can arrange day trips by helicopter or road for wine tasting and sightseeing in Hawkes Bay or nearby Taupo
- take riding lessons and guided horse treks over the 200 kms of farm track
- Poronui was the site of some of the earliest trout releases into NZ waters in the late 1800s
- there is world-class brown and rainbow trout fishing on Poronui’s 40 kms (25 mi) of fishing rivers
- helicopters are available to reach the remote fishing spots and rafts are also used to get to isolated rivers
- you can camp out overnight at several remote fishing locations; cook over an open fire and watch the stars
- there’s a fully equipped fly-tying bench in the main lodge
- guided fishing is available – $NZ 760 per day for 1 – 2 people, including all your gear, tackle, lunch and transport; licences extra
- heli fishing is available for a further $NZ 800 – 3000 per day, in addition to daily guided rate
- rates in a Lodge Room include accommodation, all meals, house wine and beer, and same day laundry service
- double/twin $NZ 645.00 – $925 per person per day; single $NZ 855 – $1,255.00
- 4 night/3 day guided fishing packages with above inclusions, guide and gear – $NZ 3,485 – $4,895 per person share twin, single $NZ 5,400 – $7,285
- 7 night/6 day guided fishing packages with above inclusions, guide and gear – $NZ 5,935 – $8,860 per person share twin, single $NZ 9,440 – $13,345
- prices for Blake House and Poronui’s summer Safari Camp are available on request
- heli-fishing and trophy hunting packages
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
- Poronui is open all year; the main trout fishing season runs October – April, but there is excellent fishing available year round
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.