Close to excellent fly fishing in both summer and winter, and overlooking the beautiful Hokitika River Valley and Southern Alps, Rimu Lodge offers an easy boutique stay.
This quiet comfortable lodge has just 4 guest rooms, so you can be assured of a pleasant stay without a lot of people around. At most there will be 8 guests, if the lodge is full. Sitting on a river terrace looking out to the wide braided bed of the Hokitika River, the view to Southern Alps is impressive. The large deck area allows an uninterrupted view of the sunrise over the mountains, and in the evening the peaks turn pink as the sun sinks low over the coast to the west.
Rimu Lodge is central to excellent fly fishing in nearby lakes and in the lower tributaries of local rivers. There is also some great hiking nearby and the short Hokitika Gorge walk to follow. Rimu Lodge is also an easy drive away from the southern glaciers and lakes, and nearby Hokitika is an old gold port, rich with wild west gold rush stories. It is also the setting for the award-winning novel, the Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton.
Host, Sue-Ellen, offers a very friendly stay. Just a 3 hour drive from Christchurch and 5 hours south from Nelson, via the stunning coast road, Rimu Lodge is an ideal stop on your way up or down the South Island’s West Coast.
- there are 4 well-appointed sunny guest rooms overlooking the valley and distant alps
- 2 upstairs rooms with views across the valley and 2 downstairs rooms opening on to a large deck. One of the downstairs rooms has accessible facilities
- Bedding configurations are King, Queen or King Single
- rooms are centrally heated and have generous en-suites
The Main Lodge:
- the heart of Rimu Lodge is the large central lounge/dining area with its big open fire for cooler nights
- breakfast is taken in this room as well
- the lounge opens on to a big deck overlooking mountain and valley views
- enjoy a port or scotch in the evening around the fire, or out on the deck
- guests have a private entrance giving easy out of hours access to the guest rooms
- there are two very friendly lodge dogs on site
- there is freshwater river and lake fishing available all year round. Species include brown trout, salmon and perch – seasonal restrictions apply
- nearby Lake Kaniere and Lake Mahinapua both offer good fly fishing
- Lake Brunner is a legendary fishing lake but is a little further away
- most lower river tributaries are also open for fishing all year, although there are some restrictions so check with your guide first
- also opportunities for spin fishing and lake fishing from a boat
Includes accommodation and breakfast
- Queen room – Kereru – starts at $295
- King and single rooms – Korimako, Tui and Kotuku start at $395
- Children over 14 years are welcome by prior arrangement
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Rimu Lodge is open from September to June – closed mid-winter and 24 – 26 Dec
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.