Right beside the famous Tongariro River, River Birches is an architecturally acclaimed boutique luxury lodge in the heart of Zane Grey country. It is also just minutes from Lake Taupo, one of New Zealand’s largest lakes and a place of great significance to local Maori.
This contemporary boutique lodge offers 5-star accommodation in three guest rooms and a self-contained luxury cottage in the grounds. Surrounded by beautiful gardens, its setting draws in many native birds, while just out the window the river has fine rainbow and brown trout to draw the keen angler.
River Birches also attracts hikers keen to walk the world-famous Tongariro Crossing – the lodge is very close to the mountains of the Tongariro National Park and is just a one hour drive from the thermal areas north of Taupo and two hours from the wine regions of Hawkes Bay. There is also golfing, white water rafting and winter skiing nearby.
- guests stay in three luxurious lodge rooms
- each has either a king or king-single bedding configuration
- two rooms open on to a Balinese-inspired private deck; the Admirals Room also has its own hot tub
- ensuites are large and well-provisioned. Each also has a bath, and robes are provided
- there is wi-fi throughout the lodge, and broadband access in the rooms
- each room also has an i-pod sound sytem and docking station
- the 3-bedroom self-contained cottage in the garden is ideal for group or family use, or if you just want to stay separately from the main lodge
The Main Lodge:
- the decor is contemporary with a definite eastern simplicity
- exterior walls are clad in cedar and there are several interior stone fireplaces
- living areas are large with room to find quiet spaces to withdraw
- there’s a fully equipped fitness room on site and drying rooms in the main lodge and the cottage
- a fully stocked tackle room will help with that fishing gear you may have left behind
- the cuisine is highly regarded and the menu makes the most of the local organic produce
- the Tongariro River runs past the lodge and is a prime spot for wild rainbow and brown trout
- there are many good fishing rivers within an easy drive and heli-fishing is available
- the iconic Major Jones – a well-known fishing pool – is nearby, as are other famous fishing pools
- local fishing guides are available to help you find the best spots on the day
- the lodge has quality fishing gear available, as well as breathable waders and vests with flotation devices for river safety
- there is also fishing by white water raft available, and boat fishing on Lake Taupo
Awards & Accolades
- recommended by Good Morning America and Travel & Leisure
- also featured in Frommers Best Boutique Hotels & Small Lodges, Australia/Pacific teNeues and Cool Hotels
- rates include accommodation and breakfast
- dinner is available by reservation at $NZ90 per person for a 3-course meal
- Admiral’s Room $NZ 665.00 for 2 people, twin share
- Major’s Room $NZ 610.00 for 2 people, twin share
- Duchess’s Room $NZ 460.00 for 2 people, twin share
- the main lodge can be booked for exclusive use at $NZ 1400.00 a night
- the Cottage is available for 1 – 6 people, prices ranging from $NZ 435.00 for 2 people. 2 night minimum stay or a $150 surcharge for 1 night. Cleaning fee $100
- children are welcome – under 9 yrs stay for free; 9 – 12 yrs stay free in parents room with $20 breakfast, dinner $45; 13 – 16 yrs stay in parents room $75, plus meals
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
River Birches is open all year; the Tongariro River and Lake Taupo are open all year round for rainbow and brown trout. Most backcountry rivers and streams are closed for fishing 1 October – 30 June
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We can then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.