River Haven Lodge sits above the Mangles River near Murchison, close to where it joins the mighty Buller River. It’s a fabulous location for fishermen with several other prolific trout rivers joining the Buller River nearby. It’s a great place to base yourself for a few days, or more, and enjoy some of the best brown trout fishing available anywhere.
The lodge is a 1 hour 40 minute drive south from the nearest airport in Nelson, or an easy helicopter flight if you prefer. There’s a helipad on site. Located just a few minutes from the small town of Murchison, River Haven Lodge is central to fabulous fly fishing and outdoor activities in the Kahurangi and Nelson Lakes national parks. Hosts, Scott and Leya, offer a full service lodge stay with all meals included, house wines and beers, and any required fishing gear as well.
For the non-fisherman there’s plenty of outdoor adventures to fill your plate. Mountain biking and hiking are exceptional in the nearby national parks, as are kayaking and rafting (Murchison is New Zealand’s white water capital), photography and bird-watching, and wine tours in the Nelson and Marlborough wine regions.
- there are 3 free-standing riverfront log cabins overlooking the Mangles River and surrounding bush-covered hills
- and 1 ensuite room in the main lodge
- each has top quality bedding and linen, with goose-down duvets and pure cotton quilts
- each cabin has a full kitchen, open plan living, separate bedroom and a personal computer. Fast wifi is also included
- king beds in cabins, convert to two singles when needed, with beautiful custom-made leather sofas in the lounge
- air conditioning keeps the cabins cool in summer and an HRV system circulates clean air
- the cabins all have surrounding verandahs, and are just a moment’s walk from the main lodge
The Main Lodge:
- the bar area, the ‘Engine Room’, is the central social space and gathering place for pre-dinner drinks and snacks
- breakfast includes fresh home-made bread, home-grown eggs and local fruits
- lunch is included in your fishing day – once again it’s fresh with mostly home-made goodies
- a three course dinner is served in the evening with local wines and beers from the nearby Nelson and Marlborough wine regions, and further afield
- the lodge sits on a 5 acre block, with 2 acres of native, vegetable and herb gardens, and room for free-range chickens
- the fishing season runs 1 October to 30 April
- access 30 rivers by vehicle and another 20 by helicopter – you’ll be spoilt for choice. Waterways range from small creeks to large rivers
- world-class sighted fishing for wild brown trout in glass-clear water
- all guides are highly experienced, tie their own flies to suit the season, and are non-smokers
- guiding fishing is $NZ 795 per day for 1 person ($NZ 825 for 2 people) with all gear and tackle, transport and lunch included
Includes accommodation in a comfortable log cabin or lodge room, all meals – i.e. pre-dinner drinks and snacks, a 3-course dinner, full breakfast and picnic lunch – house wine and beer, wi-fi and the use of all lodge facilities including a small gym
- $NZ 795.00 per cabin for two, per night – double/twin share
- $NZ 595.00 per night for a single occupancy guest
- 4, 5, 6 and 7-night fly fishing packages available from $NZ 2,827.50 pp twin share for a 4 night package, including all the above plus your fishing guide, tackle and gear, and transport
- transfers are available to/from Nelson Airport for $NZ 275 pp return
- River Haven Lodge is not suitable for young people under 18
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
River Haven Lodge is open for the fishing season – Oct 1 to Apr 30.
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.