Perched on a river terrace overlooking the confluence of the Waiau, Percival and Hanmer Rivers, Riverview Lodge really stands up to its name. Owned and operated by passionate fishing hosts Robin and John Gemmell, Riverview makes the most of its location in magnificent brown trout country.
There are beautiful mountain views, fast flowing rivers and wide open spaces all around. In addition to John’s highly regarded guiding skills the lodge also employs several other guides during the season. There are many fishing rivers and streams to choose from and the guides watch these so they can source great new fishing spots after high water levels recede following rain. There are still trout up to 5kgs (10lb) in these rivers and, as with so many other places in New Zealand, the sighted fishing is excellent.
With only 4 bedrooms the lodge is small enough to be booked exclusively for an extended family or group of friends. Unlike many lodges the rate here includes lunch each day, and the chef can cater to all preferences and dietary requirements throughout your stay. There are early and late season discounts available and 4 and 7 night packages throughout the fishing season.
Riverview Lodge is just 7 kms from Hanmer Springs village with its fantastic thermal hot springs, adventure tourism, spa and beauty treatments and winter skiing. Transfers are available to get non-fishing partners and friends to Hanmer Springs to enjoy these treats while the fishermen fish.
- there are 4 king and queen bedrooms, each with private bathroom
- each room has beautiful views and a quiet outdoor area for evening drinks or early morning coffees
- rooms also have wi-fi; there is satellite TV in the main lounge
- accommodation is simple luxury and rated 4 star
The Main Lodge:
- this modern ranch-style house is a real home away from home, overlooking the large Waiau River valley and out towards Hanmer Springs
- there is a large lounge with sunken seating area and big stone fireplace, a smaller TV lounge and dining area
- a large sunny deck overlooks the river valley with wide views and remarkable sunsets
- there is also a wood-panelled pool room for friendly evening games after a long day’s fishing
- the rivers in this region hold some big fish, each season seeing some 5kg (10lb) beauties being netted; the average fish size is 2.5 – 3kg (5 -6 lb)
- fishing follows a catch and release policy
- there are a large number of rivers and streams to fish from. The local rivers are mostly braided (multi-channel) waterways where the fishing pools change after large rains, creating new and exciting fishing spots
- Riverview Lodge also holds concessions to waterways on private land
- John recommends sage green or brown line – weight forward and also long leaders and fine tippet. Generally anglers use a 5 or 7 weight rod. Rods can be loaded with one size bigger line
- heli-fishing is always a good option and will put you in reach of many remote waterways
- there is an on-site tackle room and guides can provide fishing gear if you are not travelling with your own
- guided fishing is available at $NZ745 per day for 1-2 people, including transport, lunch and any gear you require
- heli-fishing starts at $NZ1600 per hour
Includes accommodation, all meals (including lunch and a 3-course dinner) and any required fishing gear
- $NZ530.00 per person, per night – twin share
- $NZ605.00 per night for a single occupancy guest
- 4 and 7-night fly fishing packages available which include 3 or 6 days fishing respectively
- Riverview Lodge is not suitable for children
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Riverview Lodge is open October to April
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.