Solitaire Lodge, on the shores of Lake Tarawera near Rotorua, is one New Zealand’s original luxury lodges. It is also a fabulous place to use as a base for a fly fishing stay, with options available almost all year round.
The position is commanding, with a wide view across Lake Tarawera and the volcanic mountains beyond. The area is dotted with gorgeous lakes and laced with trout-bearing rivers, so there are options to fish all year round – this central North Island area is one of the few places in New Zealand with great winter fishing.
In summer there are countless places to cast a line, from serious wilderness fishing adventures in the nearby national park to less demanding lake-based fishing from a boat. There are also excellent mountain bike trails, hot springs, hiking and some fabulous heli-sightseeing to places like Mt Tarawera and volcanically-active White Island – Whakaari.
Accommodation is in a range of luxury suites – each with a lake view and beautiful amenities. Your stay includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and pre-dinner drinks each day, and there is a good range of on-site activities including kayaks, motorised dinghies and fishing gear. There are also a number of geothermal attractions nearby with steaming geysers, relaxing hot pools, brightly coloured thermal lakes and bubbling mud pools, all within a short drive.
- the 6 Executive Suites provide a delightful stay in a 33 sq metre room, with separate sitting area, balcony overlooking the lake, and outdoor bath on the balcony
- the tastefully decorated Tarawera Suite is, at 70 sq metres, a substantial split-level room, including a generous sleeping space (super-king or twin), a separate sitting area and private balcony
- the Villa Suite, at 100 sq metres, is even larger, with a downstairs Master bedroom, en-suite, kitchenette, dining and living areas. The second bedroom is upstairs, with a private bathroom. Each bedroom can be a Super-King or twin configuration, in total sleeping up to 4 adults or a family of 4
- the beautiful Solitaire Suite is in a separate building, providing luxurious privacy in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom space with lounge area and private sundeck
- the accommodation has been recently refurbished in a refreshing, contemporary style
The Main Lodge:
- a large central lounge opens out to wide views over Lake Tarawera
- choose to dine in your suite if you wish, or join other guests in the dining room
- the cuisine showcases beautiful local ingredients and regional wines, offering you a taste of the surrounding countryside. All meals are included in the tariff including a sumptuous 5-course dinner
- spa treatments are available in-house
- a private jetty gives guests access to the lake from the lodge grounds. Motorised dinghies are available for you to explore with
- over 30 rivers and 4 lakes are available to fish, depending on the time of year; excellent guides are available at any time of year
- rainbow trout are fished all year and brown trout from October to May
- the upper tributaries of the rivers are open to fish from October to April, but the lower tributaries and lakes are open all year round. Raft, boat and heli fishing are also available
- join a catamaran from the lodge jetty and head out for a day’s fishing on Lake Tarawera. This is a good day out for novice fishers, and those who already know exactly what they’re doing
- trout over 5kg (10lb) are not uncommon with an average of over 2kg (4lb)
- Gear and tackle, lunch and transport are included in the guide price (excl heli and licences)
Includes accommodation in a luxury suite, all meals i.e. pre-dinner drinks and canapés , a 5-course dinner, cooked breakfast, lunch, mini-bar, wi-fi and the use of all lodge facilities including motorised dinghies, kayaks and fly fishing equipment
- Executive Suite – $NZ 1,550 – $2,400 per night for 2 people
- Tarawera Suite – $NZ 1,850 – $2,700 per night for 2 people
- Villa Suite – $NZ 2,000 – $2,850 per night for 2 people
- Solitaire Suite – $NZ 2,150 – $3,000 per night for 2 people
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Solitaire Lodge is open all year
Send Your Enquiry for Solitaire Lodge
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.