Tucked away down a 2.5 km (1.5 mi) private road, Stonefly Lodge is hidden from the world like a magical 5-star secret. It is also barely more than a long-armed throw from the famous Motueka River and all its magnificent fishing for brown trout.
The lodge has four simply but beautifully appointed guest rooms, all with wide views across the river valley and nearby Kahurangi National Park. All power is generated on site and the lodge has been applauded for its sensitive environmental development and sustainability policy.
The Motueka River is renowned for its trout with some of the country’s highest trout populations; recent drift dives indicate populations of 100-500 trout per kilometre.
The lodge is centred around a high galleried great room with a large double-sided stone fireplace. The main dining area, bar, library-games area, and sunroom are all linked through this main room, providing a fabulous social space to mingle or withdraw, whatever your preference.
- the four double/twin guest bedrooms are all upstairs in the main lodge and each opens onto a private balcony with far-reaching views. Listen to the burble of the river below and watch the cloud swirling over the Kahurangi mountains.
- each guest room has a full bathroom, with bath, and is finished in marble. Quality local toiletries are provided
- rooms have polished wooden floors and wooden tongue-and-groove finishing. Colours are natural and soothing, reflecting the setting out the windows
- each room has deeply comfortable beds, two desks, and there is wireless internet in all the rooms
- bedding includes linen sheets and thick warm duvets. Much of the furniture is hand-crafted
The Main Lodge:
- the lodge is built with timber milled from the 150 acre block it sits on. This timber is used extensively throughout the property
- the entire lodge is centrally heated by the large log fire and rooms all open to the afternoon sun
- the main room has a high cathedral ceiling, large dining table, and is warmed by the large stone fireplace
- the open kitchen makes breakfast a nice social event, and creates a good conversational flow at the evening meal
- there’s a large landing area on the first floor with fly-tying equipment, and a mud room out back to dry your gear
- there are dozens of rivers within an easy drive of the lodge and many more accessible by helicopter
- fishing is stalking and sight casting for wild brown trout
- excellent local guides are available from $NZ 775 a day for 2 people; licences extra
- the Motueka river, right outside the front door (almost), is an excellent trout-fishing river
- the average fish size is 1.5 – 2 kg (3 – 5 lb) but 3 kg (7 lb) fish are often caught, and the occasional 4.5 kg (10 lb) one as well
- the lodge has good fishing gear available but if you want to bring your own – rod 5 -6 weight, 8ft 6′ to 9ft, reel should hold 100 metres plus of backing and have a good drag system
- fly line – floating line to suit the rod weight, with double taper or weight forward most suitable. We recommend the use of dull natural colours such as olive, green or grey
- leaders should be 9ft to 14ft tapered down to 10lb (3X), tippets would vary from 6lb to 2lb (5X) depending on the water being fished
- include luxury accommodation, daily continental and full cooked English breakfast, pre dinner drinks with canapé’s and a four course gourmet dinner, house wine and beer
- Low Season (1st Oct – 14th Dec, 15th Mar – 30th Apr)
- $NZ 620 pp per night twin/double; $NZ 795 pp per night single
- High Season (15th Dec – 14th Mar)
$NZ 775 per person per night twin/double; $NZ 995 per person per night single
as an exclusive venue to book for a group of up to 8 – $NZ 4,960 per day (low season); $NZ 6,200 per day (high season)
- minimum 2 night stay in low season, minimum 3 night stay in high season
Cancellation fees may apply
- Stonefly Lodge is open October to April
Send Your Enquiry for Stonefly Lodge
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.