Tongariro Lodge oozes history and heritage. Having celebrated its 30th anniversary several years ago, it is one of the country’s most iconic fishing lodges, drawing on these years of experience to offer you a great fishing stay.
As they say – “Zane Grey made it famous, the Queen Mother stalked trout in it, Jimmy Carter found solitude beside it. The incomparable Tongariro River, yours to share and enjoy.”
Situated in the central North Island, on the banks of the Tongariro River just south of Lake Taupo, Tongariro Lodge is set in 22 acres of beautiful gardens and mature trees. Accommodation is in 2 -5 bedroom villas and individual studio-style chalets, each with its own private terrace. A quiet spa pool and all-weather tennis court will help fill any non-fishing days. There’s also a private Executive Villa for small group incentive stays or larger family groups. This is very popular.
Outdoor enthusiasts will also enjoy the range of character-building activities available here including hiking (especially the famed alpine Tongariro Crossing), white-water rafting, jet-boating, snow-skiing (in winter), horse trekking, hunting and golf.
The lodge is open all year to make the most of the rainbow and brown trout that patrol the river, and in the 40 other nearby rivers and four lakes. Rainbow trout have an open season all year in the lower river reaches and the lake and brown trout can be fished October to May. It’s a fisherman’s dream.
- guests stay in private comfortable 2 – 5 bedroom villas or more compact 1 bedroom chalets
- villas are a home away from home, with a separate lounge and dining area, bathroom and/or ensuites and a full kitchen and laundry
- the chalets are the original Tongariro Lodge accommodations, now smartly refurbished, with comfortable bedding, tea and coffee facilities and ensuite
- villas and chalets have private terraces and a pretty garden setting
- king beds and other bedding options available on request
- chalets have a drying cupboard for wet fishing gear
The Main Lodge:
- dark timbers, river views, fine food and old photographs set the scene in the main lodge
- sit around the open fire in the main lounge or withdraw to the library for a quieter space
- the lodge is well known for its fine dining, with a superb 4-course a la carte meal served each night
- breakfast and lunch is at your leisure and you can arrange a hamper lunch to take out on the river with you
- Tongariro Lodge has a variety of accommodation choices and offers a great value stay
- over 40 rivers and 4 lakes are available to fish, depending on the time of year
- access is by foot, 4WD, raft or boat. Heli fishing is also available
- trout over 5kg (10lb) landed with an average of over 2kg (4lb)
- rainbow trout are fished all year and brown trout from October to May (the southern summer)
- top guides are available. Gear and tackle are included in the guide price. They can also supply any gear you have left behind
- suggested gear – gortex with wading boots and good quality polaroid glasses, heavy wool socks, wide brimmed hat, wool sweater and rain jacket
- suggested tackle – a weight 6, 9ft fly rod with a 7/8 outfit for larger rivers and lake fishing.
- we recommend the use of local fly patterns provided by our guides, although some American dry flies (in sizes 12 to 14) are popular — including Royal Wulf, Elk Hair Caddis, Humpie, Irresistible, Simulators and Cicada imitations
- tapered leaders which are 9-16 feet long with 4-6 lb tippet
- guided fishing is $NZ 795.00 for a full day, $NZ 398.00 for a half day (4 hrs), including expert tuition, packed lunch (full day only) and any equipment the client needs. Maximum of 2 people per guide. Boat fishing (max 4 people) is also available on the lake; licences extra
- DB&B rate includes accommodation, breakfast, pre-dinner canapes and 3-course dinner
- 1 bedroom chalet $NZ 345.00 p/p twin share; single rate $NZ 480.00
- 2 – 5 bedroom villas $NZ 485.00 p/p twin share; single rate POA
- Executive Villa – $NZ 690.00 p/p twin share
- room only rates are also available on request
- Fishing Packages – include all the above, plus a picnic lunch each day and guided fishing
- 2 – 7 night packages are available with 1 – 6 days guided fishing included
- Rates start at $NZ 1,088 p/p twin share for a 2 night/1 day fishing stay, or $NZ 1,755 single
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Tongariro Lodge is open all year
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We’ll also handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
Need help you with your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, or suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country? Just ask us.