Like something straight off the pages of Vogue Living, Treetops Lodge near Rotorua is a deliciously luxurious escape in the middle of 2500 acres of native forest and game reserve, roughly 15 kilometres from Rotorua and a two hour drive south of Auckland.
Loved as an eco-retreat, fishing lodge, golf retreat, honeymoon venue and family escape, Treetops Lodge is one of the best of its kind in New Zealand. The architecture is striking – a contemporary take on the old colonial design of the early settlers. Owner, John Sax, built his dream – ‘As a boy one of my greatest passions in life was to fish. I dreamt that one day I might be lucky enough to have a stream or build a pond on a property that carried those ever-challenging trout’.
The accommodation is in elegant lodge rooms and villas, the more casual Pheasant cottage and the fully self-contained luxury Family Retreat. The spaces are large and beautifully decorated, and several parts of the accommodation can be taken exclusively, allowing for large groups or families to share together.
Being close to Rotorua and Taupo gives many opportunities to explore on non-fishing days. The region is an active geothermal area with some stunning hot pools, geysers and silica formations. Rotorua is also a key part of Maori tourism, which is well worth experiencing. There are also cooking classes, horse treks, hiking, golf, hunting, guided safaris and helicopter tours, and some stunning fishing.
- 4 lodge rooms in the main lodge, with super-king bed, ensuite and a large shared kitchen
- 8 spacious villas spread around the garden, each with separate lounge and open fire, a super king bed and full bathroom with spa bath
- the Owners Retreat is a very luxurious, self-contained hideaway, with four ensuite guest rooms, a large lounge with open fire and a full kitchen / dining area
- the four lodge rooms can be booked for exclusive use as the Lodge Wing, including a large kitchen area
- Pheasant Cottage is a less formal accommodation, with four bedrooms, open plan living, a kitchen / dining area, open fire and deck area. It sleeps up to 8 people and the tariff covers accommodation and use of lodge activities only
- Treetops is known for both its trout and saltwater fishing, being close to the central lakes and rivers, but only an hour from the deep sea fishing grounds of the Bay of Plenty
- locally there are 13 trout fishing lakes and 60 streams and rivers, and it’s an easy drive to the famed Tongariro River.
- fishing for brown and rainbow trout is by fly, boat and spin fishing. There are also small numbers of brook and tiger trout.
- the nearby Bay of Plenty has some of New Zealand’s best game and saltwater sport fishing
- the lodge will supply you with all the fly fishing gear you will need including waders, rods, reels and warm thermals. Charter boats will do the same for sea fishing
- Tariff in Lodge rooms, the Lodge Wing and Villas includes pre-dinner drinks, 5-course dinner (excl wine), full breakfast and use of lodge facilities (excluding spa treatments)
- Forest and Valley Villas – $NZ 2,780 for 2 people, twin share
- Lodge rooms – $NZ 1,910 for 2 people, twin share
- Lodge Apartment – $NZ 1,910 for 2 people, twin share
- Pheasant Cottage – $NZ 889 for 4 people – room only. Prices available for up to 8 guests
- Dinner and breakfast are available in the Lodge for guests staying at Pheasant Cottage
- Cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Treetops Lodge is open all year. Children are welcome and special rates apply.
Send Your Enquiry for Treetops Lodge & Estate
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We can then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.