Tui Lodge is a quick ten minute walk from one of the top North Island trout rivers, the mighty Tongariro. And although the summer fishing is awesome, like many of the beautiful places to stay in this area, it provides excellent winter fly fishing as well with memorable spawning runs of wild rainbow trout.
This purpose-built family-run luxury B&B provides a very comfortable stay in a modern home, surrounded by an impressive garden. Owners, Ian and Frances, also run a successful guided fishing business, providing their guests with plenty of options to fish while in the Turangi area.
Sitting at the southern end of Lake Taupo, Turangi isn’t a big place, but it’s a world-class fishing destination. And Tui Lodge provides an excellent modest-priced option for those not able, or wanting, to stay in a five-star lodge. There are plenty of options to dine out in the local area and even Taupo, at the northern end of the lake, isn’t too far away for a night out.
And Turangi is also central to a huge area of outdoor activities including golf, natural hot springs, boating, skiing (in winter) and lots of excellent hiking in the nearby Tongariro National Park – the Tongariro Crossing is a very popular, quite challenging, hike.
- there are 4 large lodge rooms, all in the main house
- all rooms have super-king beds with cotton linen
- each has a private en-suite with heated floor and the usual lodge amenities
- several guest rooms open to a sunny deck looking out on the garden
The Main Lodge
- breakfast is taken in the large dining room with open kitchen
- a private guest lounge has satellite TV, free wi-fi and an open fire
- there is also tea/coffee-making facilities in the guest lounge
- the property is centrally heated
- there is excellent fishing here in summer and winter for brown and rainbow trout
- the summer season runs October to June
- 5 to 7 weight rods are used in the smaller streams in summer and 7 to 9 weight rods around the lake edges
- favoured summer flies include Stonefly, Caddis and Prince Nymph
- winter fishing has an open season in the lower reaches of the rivers
- the main run starts early autumn to late spring
- 8 to 9 weight rods are best, with heavy nymphs
- winter flies include Rabbits, Red Setter and Woolly buggers; nymphs include Stonefly, Pheasant Tail and Hare & Coppers
- guided fishing in summer is $NZ 660.00 a day; winter rates are $NZ 600.00. Half day rates are $NZ 350.00
- rates are for 1 to 2 people and include all gear and lunch (full day trips only)
- all rates include a cooked or continental breakfast
- room rates are $NZ 335.00 per night for 1-2 people in a deluxe room
- and $NZ 270.00 per night for 1-2 people in a standard room
- single room rate is $NZ 225.00
- stay and fish packages are available on request
- cancellation fees may apply
- Currency converter available here
Tui Lodge is open all year. Children are welcome
Email us for more information or to make a booking
We can confirm availability, get up-to-date pricing and a full quote to you overnight. We can then handle and complete your booking for you with full personal service all the way through.
We can also help you with all your flights to and from New Zealand, your other travel and accommodation arrangements, transfers to and from the lodge, and suggested itineraries for you to further explore this beautiful country.